Friday, August 2

Rome ... Day Twelve

I was SO excited to see the Colosseum.  I think I woke up super early just in anticipation of seeing it.  That was our first stop on day twelve, but we made sure to make a breakfast stop on the way there.  We found a store that fit our fancy, ordered, and ate like true Italians at the counter!  We were getting the hang of it!  Nothing beats a morning of croissants and our first espressos.


As you turn the corner on to the road that leads you to the Colosseum, there are so many historic pieces of the city to see.  Our focus was really to just make it to the Colosseum early and quickly to avoid the crazy lines, so we had to skip all those items for now.  We really didn't have to wait at all and went trough the Colosseum interior first.









They have all sorts of historic facts/artifacts/pieces of columns, ruins, etc displayed.  I think I only took a picture of 1/3 of the items and I'm posting only 1/2 of those!  One could literally spend the entire day just looking at the Colosseum.  As our time for our trip was limited, we made our way to the main area.



This place is UNBELIEVABLY breathtaking.  It's amazing how something so large and complex was created in those days.  I could have stayed and taken pictures all day.  Rome did decide to start raining on us while were there, but that didn't stop us from finding a little alcove and waiting out the rain.














We finally decided to leave the Colosseum and had to walk out by the Arch of Constantine that we had seen and taken pictures of from the inside of the Colosseum. 




From there, it was still pretty early, but we were getting slightly hungry.  There sadly wasn't any food to eat on the way, so when we passed the Roman Forum, we made the mistake of just deciding to see that before lunch.  I had no idea exactly how large the Forum was, but we were about to find out.


There are SO many beautiful ruins, gardens, columns, arches, statues, etc.  It's also this huge maze as you are walking through.  We just kind of picked the areas we wanted to see, which was most of it.




One aspect that was opened was Augustus Ceasar's home.  We actually had to wait in line to see the space.  They literally only allow 7-10 people in to see it at a time.  The space really is quite small, so it wouldn't allow for more. 



This was his bedroom space, which was my favorite.  We didn't spend much time in there, because there were so many people waiting.  We then saw the rest of the gardens.  













About half way through, we did run into this map, which would have been helpful to find in the beginning.  The map makes it look so much smaller than it is! 




We then, because we are crazy, decided we wouldn't be in the area again and needed to walk to see a church.  I think it was more me wanting to and D so kindly tagged along.  We walked all the way to the church and it was closed.  Seriously?!?  So we made our way back, but did go through a cute little park on the hike back towards the Colosseum.   We also were able to enjoy a few items we had to rush by that morning. 




How could I not take a picture of those babies?  How cute are they?  I'm not sure an adult male could even fit in them!?!

We ended up eating lunch around 15:00 at this little shop D found called Baguetteria del Fico.  It had the most amazing sandwiches.  D was also excited by the beer selection.  We enjoyed the local beers since they had 150 craft beers in stock. 




Once we finally had our fill, we went to find some sun.  We made our way to the square near our place and sat in the square and people watched for a good hour.  I thought I was in heaven.  Once the sun went down we went and got cappuccinos (Only 1Euro each, seriously?!?) and then decided to hang out at our place until it got a little later.  We had walked so much that day, we definitely needed a refresher. 

Earlier that day we noticed our toilet was running.  We made attempts to stop it, but it just kept running.  When we got home, the bottom of the bathroom had a thin layer or water on it, so I emailed our contact about it while D tried to stop the leakage.  The toilets in Italy are confusing.  We looked it up and there are actually ten very different types of toilets. We put some more towels on the floor and went out for the night. 


Since it was too early to eat, we went and had a glass (plus a bottle of wine) at a restaurant.  Really the people watching is the best there.  We were in the little corner and I was always surprised by the parking in Rome.  People just park and block each other in.  I don't know if everyone just knows each other or they just keep an eye out in case someone needs to leave.  I was dumb founded.  Once we finally got our appetite back, we had the most delicious pizza of our trip.  This was a recommendation from the guy who owned the space we were staying called Francescia's.  It was so, so good.  It was light and crispy and just melted in your mouth, like all delicious pizza should.  I had margarita and he had sausage and mushroom.  .


Then, of course, you can't end a night with out some gelato, so that was our next stop.


We ended up walking around the neighborhood, going in a few shops and just enjoying the night life.  It was such a beautiful evening.  We came across two guys singing in the street and we had to stop. We were one of the first people that stopped to listen and by the time we left the whole street was full of people.  We ended up listening to them for over an hour.  They played everything from John Mayer to Michael Jackson and we were dancing in the street.  I have a video of them, but I couldn't get it to load on the blog.  This was one of my absolute favorite parts of Rome and the perfect end to a perfect day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I would LOVE to hear from you.