Thursday, June 17

Amazing Rebates and Homemade Bread

So I think that it is pretty awesome all the rebates that are out there for home buyers.  It has just been happenstance that we have stumbled across them all.  We first were both determined and lucky enough to get the appliance rebates!  Woo. Then of course we got a house during the first time home buyers tax rebate.  That check will be nice.  And then we just recently found out about a toilet rebate.  Darrell was looking online to see when exactly we could water our lack-of a yard and found a rebate.  I don't usually get super pumped just thinking about toilets, but this one is pretty awesome!!! So if you live in Austin and you qualify for the rebate, you only have, 17 more days to take advantage of it.  

Here is what you get, up to $200 PER TOILET to replace it for a more water efficient one.  Why would you not get a free toilet and save yourself in water bills each month.  Sign me up!  We knew we needed new toilets anyways, but this was just perfect timing.  Here are the qualifications...
  • You must have a direct bill from Austin Water
  • There is a limit to 3 toilets per house hold, up to $200 allowance per toilet
  • Have to be replacing pre-1996 toilets with HET models
How amazing is that.  So if you go look at toilets today, there are way too many options.  This one I let Darrell decide.  We went with one of the dual flushing systems, which is supposed to save you the most money in water.  We ended up with an American Standard brand, so we'll see how these work for us.

The worst part about moving into an older home and doing remodels is that I still have random stuff strewn all over the floor.  I am a very organized person and it is driving me nuts.  So that said, I haven't gotten to cook much since we moved.  Since tools and paint have been taking over my kitchen space, it has made it kind of difficult.  It also hasn't helped that we really need to replace the sink.  It does not really drain well and also leaks at the same time.  That was courtesy of those that just jimmy rigged it up there the first time.  

So yesterday evening I decided to test out some homemade bread.  I don't have a bread maker so this is simply made by hand.  I try to keep things on the healthy side and went with a Whole Wheat recipe that I found online.    



 { Homemade Wheat Bread }
Yields 1 Loaf

{Ingredients}
1 cup warm water [110-115 degress F]
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour [I used bread flour instead]
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast

{Instructions}
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl: stir [I used my kitchen aid mixer]
2. Add flour and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes
3. Punch dough down and knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover.  Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.
5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in a pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. 


Over all, I thought the bread was very easy to make, but maybe lacked a little in flavor.  I think the method is good, but would probably add more of my own touches next time.  

My brother also made this delicious meal last night for us on the grill: BBQ Chicken, Asparagus, and Sweet Potato Fries.  The kicker was dipping the sweet potatoes in honey mustard.  Yum! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I would LOVE to hear from you.